February 5, 2009

America Anonymous


I met Benoit through some friends when I was living in Boston 8 years ago and had a huge crush on him. At the time he was writing for Boston magazine, and since then I've watched his career blossom and see his award-winning journalism appearing regularly in the New York Times Magazine. Recently, I noticed he finally published a book, so I went to his B&N book signing mostly to say hello. I knew the book would be good, but wasnt expecting it to be so...addictive.



Benoit spent time with 8 different addicts (sex, crack, alcohol, steroids, shoplifting, overeater, etc) for 3 years documenting their struggle to remain sober, most of them relapsing at some point during recovery. Mixed in is Benoit's own account of his recovery from sex addiction and all kinds of intriguing and alarming information about the complicated issue of addiction. His writing is insightful and brutally honest. I recommend it to everyone.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

definitely gonna pick this up;
thanks for the recommendation!